Tuesday 3 April 2012

Merely Suggestions

Mr. Kleats @ Central High School
123 Main Street, Sportstown, British Columbia
V2A 1W3


Felicity Sawyer
142 Green Crt V2A 7K5
Pentticon bcHello Mr.Kleats,
My name is Felicity Sawyer and my daughter Emily plays on your senior girls basketball team. First off I would like to congratulate you on your recent win at Valley's. However, it has come to my attention that a few parents, as well as myself, are concerned about the fact that you are often late for practices, practice seems a little chaotic, some of the members get little to no playing time, there is a great emphasis on winning, and I  also am concerned at the tone you talk to our daughters in.


My first concern is that you often are late showing up for practice. A few of the parents and I would like to offer our help and show up a little early to get the girls warmed up, and teach them a few drills. Now I understand that you also have your own family and life to take care of that is why a few of us have stepped up to make this as easy on you as possible.


Most times when my daughter and I show up for her practice, I sit and watch for a little bit with the other mothers. But now that it has come to our attention that things aren't moving as smoothly as some of the parents hoped. So once again we are offering our help to you.


I often notice that a few of the players including my daughter don't get playing time. I am aware that you want to play the best players, but even when your top players are worn down to nothing, you keep some of the girls benched. I believe that everyone should get the chance to redeem themselves. Just give each of those girls a chance once in awhile.


The emphasis on winning this season is a bit worrisome to the parents. I think that they shouldn't be just playing to win. They should be playing for fun and if they happen to win that's great! So I think we should start cheering them on even if they aren't in first.


The tone you use on the players can be concerning sometimes. They are only in eleventh and twelfth grade, and let's face it, they are girls, they tend to be a little more emotional than the boys teams. Sometimes the tone seems to be scaring them more than encouraging. Maybe if you bring the voice down they will play better and will find the sport more fun and a little less stressful. 


Thank you for listening and I hope you consider a few of these suggestions.


Felicity Sawyer

No comments:

Post a Comment